MommyDesiree
So last week I shared our term 1 outline. Today I'll share our working schedule. After watching the SCM all-day seminar DVD I have a better understanding of how I need to allot our time. I also have come across a schedule that Charlotte's PNEU schools grades 1-3 ran on.


I Know it's hard to read here, BUT Lessons started at 9:00 and were done by 11:30! That is just The same amount of time a good friend of mine and I thought was necessary for a child with a willing mind to learn. There is NO need to do school for 8 hours a day. The repetition gets boring and stale. A subject they loved at noon, becomes pointless to them if they are still doing it by 2:00. So by this lead I will divide our days. Because I have 2 small ones to consider mornings will not be spent on school, so much as being out doors.

Daily:
Bible- 20 min
Reading- 20-40 min (split sessions for each literature and poetry piece)
Copywork- 10 min
Math: 20 min
Drawing: 15 min.
Piano:10 min.

All other subjects divided weekly; with schedule posted on Monday so the children know what to expect, but as a rule allotted times should be:

Histories: 20 min
Science: 20 min
Geography:20 min
Grammar: 10 min. (Charlotte doesn't advocate grammar until the child is older, but coming from public school he has already been exposed to the rules, so I hope to take those abstract ideas and make them real to him)
Communication: 5 min to talk about his week long assignment.( e.g. Having my shy 7 year old introduce himself properly to everyone he meets for the next 7 days.)
Foreign language: 30 min. on the weekend with his Lola
Picture/composer study: 10 min.

...art, handiwork, and nature study will be done in our "non" school hours, because honestly that's how we spend our leisure time now.

As for the layout of this day. This is what I'm thinking.

8:30-9:30 School
9:30-12:00 free time, tot school, independent reading, ect...very flexible.
12:00-12:30 Lunch
12:30-1:00 Read aloud time, girls included.
1:00-? Girls Naps (pray for them to agree about this!), -2:00- AJ school
2:00- school day over

...like I said it's a work in progress. Right now I'm really watching the girls natural moods, rhythms, and schedules. Hopefully doing school around them this year will help ease the frustration for everyone.

But if all else fails I'll listen to Charlotte:

Let everything go when life becomes too tense, and just take a day, or half a day, out in the fields, or with a favorite book, or in a picture gallery looking long and well at just two or three pictures. (volume 3. pg.33)






1 Response
  1. Joan Says:

    WOW! Can you plan our school day too? You're so awesome. You are so ready! I'll pray for the girls' cooperation. :)