MommyDesiree
Here we are; better yet, here I am on Tuesday keeping my word!

Today I'd like to share what we'll be using as the core of our school year. I will link up to what ever I can- I always find that SO helpful when others do it.

We will be doing 3 Terms (you're right Joan- it did sound like pregnancy! But maybe that's how it will be this year hu?) I still have to work out how a CM day looks for our family, so I don't have a day-to-day LP yet, but I do have a rough outline of our first 12 weeks. I ordered this DVD set from Simply Charlotte Mason this week and I'm excited about it. It will give Jay an opportunity to really "get" her ideas and what our school philosophy is all about. I'm also hoping it will help me visualize what day-to-day schooling will look like for our family.

We have 3 children. 1 toddler (I can't believe I just called her that!?), 1 preschooler, and 1 who will be in second grade. I was feeling very apprehensive about the age gap and trying to tackle Home Schooling, then a friend linked me to 1+1+1=1.The meaning behind her sites name is this verse:

Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him.
And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:12

I love the picture of my children standing strong together- in Faith, life, and in this schooling adventure, Unbreakable.... yes, yes let it be so

This year my preschool ambitions are light. Following CM Method, school for the young should consist of real life learning and LOTS of time out of doors. We will be doing a few "school" things though.

We are avid readers so we will be using
BFIAR for the girls. We will also implement tot school, and continue to watch Letter Factory, and the Your Baby Can Read series. My ultimate goal is that those program be the only TV they watch.

For my oldest we are using AO year one curriculum. I have tweaked it a bit to better suit his and our families needs. Here is the break down by subject for term 1:

Bible: Genesis (through CBS)
World History: Our Island Story
American History: Benjamin Franklin
Ancient History:Fifty Famous stories retold
Natural History: James Herriot's Treasury for Children
Science: The Backyard Scientist series 1 and 3
World Geography: A Child's Geography: Exploring His world.
American Geography:Paddle-to-the-Sea
Math: Math-U-See Beta
Grammar: Grammar Land, Grammar Rock, and Grammar games at the dinner table.
Communication: Creative Communications
Foreign Language: Tagalog
Literature: Aesop's Fables, Just so Stories, Parables from Nature, The Blue Fairy Book, The Tempest, Charlotte's Web, St. George and the Dragon (and anything else we throw in, like I said we are readers)
Poetry:Shel Silverstein, Robert Louis Stevenson
Drawing: the Draw Squad
Artist: Raphael Sanzio
Composers:Ralph Vaughn Williams, Edward Elgar.
Music: Piano

We will also be doing art, handywork, and the all important Nature Study. I know it looks daunting, but keeping lessons to 20 min. each make it fun, exciting and doable. This is a health diet of Brain food, and I'm excited to see him feasting on SO many new idea's.




2 Responses
  1. wedogmomma Says:

    you have done SO much work already!
    I Luuuuurve your enthusiasm!!
    It's rubbing off...now if I could just wrap up THIS year...I could get my head around NEXT year!
    Keep inspiring me!
    and YES, I adore the new look!


  2. Joan Says:

    Yay I found you! Love the new look and love your planning! Like Nik said, keep inspiring us to do more ... like the Word of God says "Iron sharpens iron". Luv yah.