MommyDesiree
Today we started summer school.

...in case you didn't notice it's 3 weeks earlier then I had planned. I think that's one of the greats parts about home school...our students are our guides. As for me- I've spent the last few months batting hands and hiding books. Then it dawned on me how utterly ridiculous that was, and I ask him if he'd like to start early. His answer was a resounding YES!

So here we are. Today.

My plan is simple (or so I hope) I am splitting one week of school into 3 Tuesday/Thursday weeks. That way we are easing in. We will still cover all the topics I wanted to cover. We will still work in a 2 1/2 to 3 hour time frame; but I will be able to take time to outline my expectations for each topic and introduce any background that needs explaining. After our sessions today I'm feeling great.

Oh yes, today right, I guess you'd like to hear about it hu?

We began our school day after everyone was finished with their breakfast- a little before 9:00. We all gathered on the couch and read the story of Jonah. I chose to start with it for a few reasons. The first being that we have a friend named Jonah; that peaked AJ's interest. The second was the "slippery fish" song. I know that seems silly but I knew it would bring Abby into the story. They both sat well through the story (Bree on the other hand...) and the following song. I chose to mix up the lyrics on Abby and had Jonah splash in on the sharks head...that was a HUGE hit. It was great to listen to AJ's naration, and see my kids eyes sparkle as they listened to the word of God.

Next we did Math. It went great! I really like the Math-U-See program. AJ loved building his Math. It's so Charlotte friendly too! Things, before symbols. Build, before writing. We had fun. While we did math Abby played with lacing frogs, and Bree snacked.

Then after a quick snack./nap break it was time to study poetry. Today we started with Robert Louis Stevenson's Bed in Summer.

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer, quite the other way, I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

...He could so relate! Isn't it so very wonderful and grounding to know that kids never change? I loved watching his expressions as he was listening in agreement. For poetry narrations I have decided they should be drawn. So we are starting a little binder of his poetry interpretations...LOVE IT!

Then we took our mid day break....whew.... While playing we discovered life! Both a grasshopper that let him hand feed him, and a teeny praying mantis. There was this moment while we were at the park with some good friends that he walked up to me and asked "When are we gonna go finish school mom?" ...wow... can it really be this great? was the next thought I had.

Once we came home and got the girls settled for what I hoped would be naps (prayers are coveted here) we moved on to today's Literature. We read The sword of Damocles. When we got to the middle and he heard it was hanging by a mere horse hair his eyes grew big as saucers! That was another really good narration.

I was feeling very confident in my home schooling abilities until we hit Copy work. Man, that was rough. He dug in his heals, took forever, and still turned in work that was sub par. I know that sounds awful but it's true. I was feeling discouraged, then after talking it over with Jay I remembered this is a starting point. Attention to detail, and doing his true personal best are skills they never made him hone in public school. So we are treading on new ground. It's bound to be bumpy.

AH, but redemption was just around the bend. By intelligent design we ended our "official" school day with art. I bought him a nice sketch book and good pencils. It was like a dream come true. If I would let him, I'm sure he'd be drawing still. His lesson was in foreshortening. That is when you make one part of an object appear closer then another part.

All in all I feel good. But better yet, he's excited. We are in unknown territory but....

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable - Helen Keller

....I think she knows what she's talking about, and it makes me smile to hope that Charlotte would agree.
3 Responses
  1. Maritez Says:

    Good job Mama! Jonah would be so honored that you started your school experience with 'his' story ;)


  2. wedogmomma Says:

    Awe-inspiring!!
    I WANT to go to school there!
    I'm praying for the girls to keep cooperating!
    I like what AJ is 'willing' to do....the drawing and sketching are GREAT! Go AJ!
    Praise God!


  3. Joan Says:

    What a wonderful school day! Something every child should experience.
    Yeah, I agree with Nik, can I take Shali and Jordan to your school!?!
    Takes for the encouragement. You have no idea how inspiring your work is! Hugs!